Thursday, December 31, 2015

Me VS. Alaska

Well at least my blog got a makeover for the upcoming new year!

I saw this cartoon on Facebook:

from Hedger Humor


And it got me to thinking about how this is just like me and my husband. He is the outdoorsman, the tough guy with the calloused hands.

I am the Zsa Zsa Gabor to his Brawny man. I have never picked up an ax in my life. I don’t think I would unless I was being chased by a maniac and trust me, my life is not THAT exciting.

 I like the indoors. No, I freakin’ LOVE the indoors. Air conditioning? Yes! Ice in my drinks-oh yeah! And guess what? There are no bugs buzzing in your face. I REALLY hate bugs. I try to be gentle like Buddha would want me to be and rescue a bug found indoors and put it outside to let it be FREEEEE. But I find the toilet is a convenient place for spiders and I always flush twice in case somehow the spider wants to pay me another visit. 

About a year ago, I came to the conclusion that I did not want to be one of those survive-the-apocalypse-people. Previous to this epiphany, I believed I would be like one of the characters from The Walking Dead. I was going to be all Scarlett O'Hara eating some rotten roots in order to survive. Do what it takes.

BUT I love convenience. I don’t want to spend three hours to find my food. I love that my food comes to me already prepared and bagged. I don't want to hunt my food. If I did, I would name it and make it a pet!!This is probably bad to confess, but it is true.

My husband on the other hand, has been saving dryer lint to use as a fire starter in an emergency situation. He keeps empty clean jars in the garage in case we need to fill them with water for some reason. I love that he is prepared like that. Go him.

We lose electricity frequently in this area of Oklahoma. After two hours of no electricity I start to go a little stir crazy. I miss technology. I start worrying about my food melting and turning bad. I run to my mom’s house because they usually have it when we don’t. So I know that if I have trouble living without electricity for 4-6 days there is not anyway in the world I want to go to the rugged wild and not have it for months or forever.


I like to daydream about tropical islands, but no. My real vacation hot spot would be living inside Target for a few days. So here I am going to admit it--I am a spoiled baby. 

No comments: