Saturday, November 21, 2015

Cool comprehension strategies and other things...

What a whirlwind of activity the past two weeks have been for us in the Winkle household. My son and I took a homeschool field trip to the Wichita Mountains and Medicine Park here in Oklahoma. It is so beautiful and wild there. I badly want to go back and even more I would love to move someplace like that someday. Here are pics from our day of adventuring~ 





You so won't see a pic of me when I fell on our hike. Yep, athletically-inclined me tore a hole in my jeans. On the bottom. And my shirt did not cover it. So I walked with my hand over it for the rest of the trip! 


And Fall is here so I start to spend some time in the kitchen (yes, me!) baking. Here is a delicious apple pie I made for my family. I don't spend time making my pies cutesy. I like the folksy, mile high pie look! 



And I've been working on refurbishing/re-doing furniture. 


A jewelry box

Two wooden chairs

My Ikea coffee table top

A little outdoor bistro set

This is why I've been a little lax in the blogging department lately!
Thanksgiving has been on mind...

So let's get to those comprehension strategies, shall we? 



Before Reading Strategies

-These strategies could include previewing headings, surveying pictures, reading introductions and summaries, creating a pre-reading outline (make use of graphic organizers!), creating questions that might need to be answered, making predictions that need to be confirmed, etc. 

-The primary question for a teacher here is: "What steps (observable and those not observable) should I teach students to do regularly and automatically that will prepare them in advance to get the most out of a reading selection that needs to be read more thoroughly?" 

During Reading Strategies
-The During Reading Strategies that help a student understand during reading include questioning, predicting, visualizing, paraphrasing, elaborating (i.e., comparing what is read to what is known), changing reading rate, rereading, etc. 
-The primary question for a teacher is: "What steps (again those observable and not observable) should I teach students to do so that they will regularly and automatically figure out the intended meaning of the text and how it connects to what they already know?" 

After Reading Strategies

-These strategies are used to help the student "look back" and think about the message of the text and determine the intended or possible meanings that might be important. These strategies are used to follow up and confirm what was learned (e.g., answer questions or confirm predictions) from the use of before and during reading strategies. They also help the reader to focus on determining what the big, critical, or overall idea of the author's message was and how it might be used before moving on to performance tasks or other learning tasks. Make sure to also review those graphic organizers/anchor charts or predictions made from the Pre-Reading and During Reading  practices.
 
-The primary question for a teacher is: "What steps should I teach students to do so that they will regularly and automatically stop when they are finished reading a text selection and try to figure out the intended meaning of the text to determine what is most important and how they will use it?" 

Remember, to be successful teaching reading:


 photo tina winkle sig twinkleteaches sm_zpspz9kadle.jpg
 photo SB Free Blog Element Gold Divider_zpsyo2nxc1t.jpg

No comments: