Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Weekly Summer Link Up--Why I Started Blogging



So true, Chewbacca, so true.


I started my blogging journey back in January 2007. This blog was originally called, “Yes, That’s My Child Screaming!” because he was. We were navigating toddlerhood together. When he had a tantrum people with more wisdom a.k.a. experience, would knowingly nod at me and tell me this would pass. And you know what? They were right! It passed too fast. So fast it makes me sentimental for those days.

This blog started because I had a conversation with another stay-at-home mom about documenting our child’s lives with a blog. I took the initiative and started the blog the next day. It helped me personally to have an outlet. There were times I felt (and still feel) invisible to the world. Like a silent ghost stealthily walking behind the scenes of society. It probably does not help that I am very shy, too.


In 2009, I went back to teaching. I completed my Master’s Degree I had put on hold while pregnant because I was put on bed rest. And I felt like a true life Cinderella when I was given a position as an instructional coach. I could help others! I could make change!

My carriage crashed. We lost our jobs due to votes from legislature.

I went through a bit of a depression. I was lost for a bit. My husband went back to teaching art, and I became the homeschooling mom again. I started out super organized and with an idea of what our perfect homeschool day would look like. That probably never happened in real life. I found I could be easily distracted by my son asking a simple “I wonder” question because the teacher in me wanted to find out, too, along with him.

I began to revive my blog again, this time re-naming it Twinkle Teaches since my name is Tina Winkle and I teach at home now. And I taught for nine years and for two years I was a Literacy Coach. So it just fit right like those comfy pair of sweatpants I own.

I enjoy writing. I enjoy sharing my life. I realize I am still able to reach out to teachers through my blog and social media.

I do still have a tiny bit of sadness that I am not currently coaching or working for a school district. If the right opportunity came along, yes, I would follow. But I will always be grateful and cherish this past year that I have had the opportunity to be at home again and to be able to grow with my son again. 


 photo tinasig8-7-14_zpsd9a78e1a.jpg


This link-up was created by Monica from I Heart 3rd Grade. Start on her blog to see all the link-ups. If you want to add your link on here to share your link-up just click on the InLinkz blue frog: 

 
To visit other bloggers that have linked-up see below:































































































































































8 comments:

Kristin said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Tina!

Kristin
Teaching In A Nutshell
Teaching In A Nutshell Designs

Heidi Samuelson said...

Sounds like a wonderful journey! Thanks for sharing!
Mrs. Samuelson's Swamp Frogs

Miss Monica at I Heart Grade 3 said...

Thank you for linking up! I have to say that the picture of the little guy up above is TOO cute! He looks like a real life Cabbage Patch Kid!

Have a great day!

Monica

www.iheartgrade3.com
www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/I-Heart-Grade-3

Jen Stamm said...

I really enjoyed reading your story about why you started blogging. I love seeing other reasons for starting the journey, and the cute pictures of the little guy just adds to the blog post!

Carol Davis said...

What a beautifully written post! I love the quote about writing and it really makes me miss teaching writing! Now, I teach only science- which is actually quite wonderful, too! Thanks for sharing your story!
Carol
Teachers Are Terrific!

M Whitt said...

Tina, you are super cute. The way you tell a story is very engaging and funny!! I feel like when I write a post--it's so lacking talent--I am so not a wordsmith or clever or witty :D Anyway, thanks for sharing your story! You sound like an amazing mom, and you are an inspiration to someone like me who wishes my family could afford me being a stay-at-home-mom :) Wishing you a fantastic summer!!

Take care,
Melanie
-Momma with a Teaching Mission

Kayla Root said...

Wow you have had quite the journey and I love hearing how blogging has evolved and changed along your journey. It is great that blogging allows you to continue to provide ideas and thoughts that others can benefit from. Thanks for sharing!
Kayla
The Chalkboard Garden

Carol Garden said...

Hi Tina! I love how you created the name for your blog! What a beautiful story! I am sure it must be difficult for you to have lost your district teaching job due to budget cuts. Maybe you were meant to be home for your son's sake this year I wish you all the best in the future. Carol's Teaching Garden