Sunday, June 22, 2014

Write On with Your Bad Self!!!




Let's talk about writing rubrics. I know I like knowing what to expect in life. Especially when it comes to my grades. So not only are rubrics a great guide for grading, but I think if you have them (your expectations) posted on the wall it will help students to think about what they need to do to earn a good grade, or to meet expectations. Think of it as a guide for your students. Yes, we often see rubrics in higher education but they can be utilized even on the primary level.
I also saw another neat one a teacher created~
They have writing prompts for 3rd-11th grades so even if someone is teaching fifth grade they can use 3rd or 4th to differentiate for the students.
They have task templates that are excellent for teachers to use to develop their own prompts!  There are also rubrics there to score writing. The best part?.... it is free! :)

Or You've Got the Write Stuff, Baby! I could do this all day...


Here is a great video of a writing continuum in action in a Kindergarten classroom. This teacher has 1-10 but I would maybe think of scaling it down to 1-5 for the young ones.


I also want to share a neat writing rubric I saw in a Kindergarten classroom. At this school every teacher has something similar in the classrooms at all grade-levels. Do you like what you see? You can get it for FREE here! 






It shows not only the writing expectations, but also drawing and coloring.


 Here are some writing resources that I hope you find helpful!


RAFT strategy from www.writingfix.com

I also recommend the Mid Del writing prompts.


There are 2 writing videos on YouTube I love to share with teachers:


I also encourage you to look at the Literacy Design Collaborative.


Over a year ago, I gave a writing presentation at the school when I was the Literacy Coach. It was focused on 3rd grade plus, but could be modified for any grades. I have not yet converted it from a Power Point into a video but when I do I will post it on my YouTube Channel.



 The outline of it is:

-Survey teacher's on their writing bias
-Discuss results with them
-Go into writing strategies:
1. Pre-Writing
2. Drafting
3. Revising
4. Editing
5. Publishing
-Then discuss writing purposes:
1. Narrative
2. Descriptive
3. Persuasive
4. Personal, formal letters, thank you notes, inivitations
5. Creative writing (my personal favorite!), poems, skits, lyrics
(we will do a lot of share/discussion with the above purposes)
-Writing evaluation and reflection
-Use of writing prompts
-Mini-lesson ideas to use after guided reading



And finally, for ELL students I always recommend using a visual (like a magazine picture, photo or clip art) for a writing prompt since that correlates with what WiDA assesses and can help make those background knowledge skills strengthened. Always relate what they are learning to real life. Make it meaningful!


No comments: