Friday, July 17, 2009

Featured Friday-Melanie's Creations

Photobucket
This week we have a super Featured Friday artist, Melanie. I noticed her polymer clay creations on the Tip Junkie forum and took note of the fine detailed work she does!

1.Melanie,tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Melanie and I am from Buffalo, NY. I have been married for 11 years and I am stay at home mother of 2 children, a son age 8 and a daughter age 2. I have loved doing anything artistic since I can remember. I love to paint, draw, scrapbook, and to do many other crafty projects. Last year I painted prints to go with my friend's nursery bedding for a baby shower gift. My favorite items to make are my whimsical creations out of polymer clay.

Photobucket
A golden snowflake.

2. What inspires you?
My family & friends are a big inspiration. Every time there is a new milestone I seem to create something new. I love creating things for weddings, birthdays, showers & holidays. Customers also inspire me. I love when someone sends me an e-mail asking me to make something special for them.

Photobucket
Daisy pendant.

3.What advice would you give to a beginner?
Enjoy yourself. Don't go out and buy tons of tools. Your hands are your best tool. So are toothpicks, string and exacto knives.

Photobucket
I love this posing sock monkey!

4. What is your favorite medium or tool to work with?
I mainly use Sculpey and Fimo polymer clay. My favorite tools are a needle tool I bought forever ago, my exacto knife and my pasta machine.

Photobucket
Girl Scout ornament.

5. How do you find time to create?
Mmmmmm....I would love extra time in the day. Last Christmas I spent many evenings creating. Now that my daughter is getting a bit older I can work with my clay while she is awake. It's funny because she wants to play with "playdoh" like mommy.

6. Where do you spend most of your time creating?
I wish I had a craft room, but I do not. I work on my creations on my dining room table.

Photobucket
Sweet!

7.What got you started?
I have been making my creations out of polymer clay for about 15 years. I started making ornaments out of salt dough as a child with my mother. I started working with polymer clay because it never dries and there are so many wonderful colors. In the beginning I made Christmas ornaments for family and friends. I even made daisy magnets for my wedding favors 11 years ago.

Photobucket
Horse tags.

8.How would you describe your style?
Style...personally I am a t-shirt and velour sweats type of person. My husband calls it my uniform. Have to be comfy when you are chasing after a toddler...LOL. My creative style is whimsical & customizable. I love fun creations that I can customize & personalize for people.

Photobucket
Birthday party jewelry favors.

9.What do you enjoy most about creating?
I find it relaxing. I also love giving my creations as gifts.

10.Where can we see more of your work?

my shop: http://melaniescrafts.etsy.com
my blog: http://melaniescrafts.blogspot.com
my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/melaniescrafts




Thank you, thank you Melanie!!!!


Photobucket

7 comments:

Bella Crafts said...

Hi Tina!
So great that you posted info about Melanie! I have a pic of one of her creations on my blog :)

Cathy
Tip Junkie Member

Whimsical Creations said...

Thank you so much!! =D

Pearl said...

what a fabulous feature , Tina !

we used to do Sculpey creations before scrapbooking but were no where as good as Melanie ! lol

Bone*Head*Studios said...

Thanks Tina for this interview, I love the adorable tags and jewelry
that this artist makes!!!
blessings,
Flora

Veronica Lee said...

Such beautiful creations!! Thanks for the wonderful feature!!

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Precious creations!! Thanks for the link!

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

I love them all especially that cupcake!!! :> )
~Peanut