Sunday, June 7, 2009

Crafty Fun Post

**About Parasol mag. to see it you have to go to http://www.parasolmag.com/?p=165 and scroll down past the names (mine is Tina Winkle), and then stop where you see this
"You can download the latest issue here, or view it in Issuu:" and click the link...which is
http://www.aprintadayonline.com/parasolmagdownloads/PARASOLMAG3.pdf
I know you do need Adobe Reader or Acrobat to see it since it is pdf file. Hope this helps. :)
*********************************
Do you have an excessive amount of crayons--especially broken ones around your house?
Here's a fun and easy craft to do with your kiddo(s) and the broken crayons~
Make "Stained Glass" Art!
-Old crayons
-Wax paper
-An iron
1. Take the paper off the crayons. Break them into smaller pieces (about M&M size).
2. Cut 2 pieces of wax paper into the shape you want (bug, dinosaur,etc). If you have trouble you can draw it first with pencil or Sharpie and/or use a coloring page or picture, pattern, as a template.
I did a butterfly! Here is my template.
Photobucket
3. Take one of the pieces. Sprinkle your broken crayons on it--try not to get any too close to the edge because when it melts it spreads and you don't want it to come out of the sides of your wax paper. Now put the second piece on top, like a sandwich with a crayon filling.
4. An adult should warm up an iron and gently hold it over the wax paper so the crayon melts (this only takes a few seconds). If you don't want to make a mess you can put wax paper over and under your art project before running the iron over it. If any happens to get on the iron, after it has cooled down use Windex and a paper towel to clean it off.
5. When your art project has cooled down, you can punch a hole in the top, string it with yarn and hang in a window! :)
My finished butterfly~
Photobucket
Fun!!!!

Photobucket

8 comments:

The Queen of Clearance said...

Next time I watch my friends kids we are goig to make these! They are soo cute!

A.D said...

WHAT A FUN BLOG!!!! I LOVE IT

Marie Reed said...

I used to do this when I was a kid! I had forgotten all about it! I'll do this with the boys when they get home from school!

Veronica Lee said...

The boys used to do this in pre-school.

Mandee said...

so fun i am always looking for some fun things for summer to do with the kiddies, and this is perfect:) thanks

Eeffie said...

Thanks for sharing! Your banner is so awesome!

Court said...

I would consider doing this if I didn't hate ironing with such a deep, pure passion. But it does sound cute.

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

This project reminds me of when I was a kid!! Such fun, and the results are always so unpredictable.