Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy 5th of May!!!

Photobucket
Happy Cinco de Mayo!!! Being of Mexican heritage, I wish I could say I was doing something to celebrate, but sadly, am not. :( We had plans to see a mariachi band perform this last Saturday but I ended up being called into work. Maybe I can make myself a Margarita or something. ;)
So anyway, Happy Cinco de Mayo friends!!!
Plop,plop,drop--its raining out. It has been raining for about a week now. So boring at this point. Really I want to plant outside but my gardens are flooded. Oh, and don't get me started on all the pent up energy a 4 year old can have!
We have made 2 batches of chocolate chip cookies, had fun with a whopee cushion (eventually it busted), made slimey gooey gak and even painted pinecone pets.
I need to share our gooey gak recipe!!
Photobucket
We use this awesome book to find all our science-y recipes! The book is called Kid's Concotions by John and Danita Thomas. We bought it at Hobby Lobby but Michaels and Amazon.com sells all their books/products,too. Here is their web site in case you are curious: Kid's Concotions.
Back to the gooey gak!!!
It is like the slime you see on Nickelodeon. And after it was finished it occupied him enough to give me a good hour of cleaning uninterrupted. So win-win!

Photobucket
Grandma gave us the Borax...I guess grandma's keep laundry booster in their house!
Photobucket
The paint we used. You can use any really but if I were you...try to get something washable like tempera or fingerpaints.
You will make two separate solutions:
Photobucket
{solution A}
SOLUTION A
1 cup water
1 cup white glue
2 Tbsp. liquid paint (we used washable!) or 7-10 drops food coloring
Mix in bowl separate from B.
SOLUTION B
1 1/3 cups warm water
4 tsp. Borax laundry booster
1. Mix solution A.
2. In separate bowl, mix solution B until Borax dissolves.
3. Slowly pour bowl A into bowl B--do not mix.
4. Roll solution A into solution B 4-5 times with your hands. (Best part!)
5. Lift solution A (a chunk) out of solution B and knead with your hands for 2-3 minutes.
6. Store in ziploc or airtight container!
7. If your name is Harrison, put the bowl on your head and say your brains are coming out...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Our gak.

Oh and how about a playdoh recipe,too?
Photobucket
(right click and save image to copy it...)
I hope it is dry and happy where you are. Or at least happy anyway! Hugs!!
Photobucket

8 comments:

Terrie B x said...

`WoW` Harrissons Playdough looks fab..
My Grandson loves Playdough..TFS
Have a lovely Day whatever you do Tina...
It`s raining here tooo:(

lisaknits said...

Love your blog..it is so colorful! Do you have a ravelry account? i read your comment that you are a new knitter/crocheter. I have been kntting since last august and love it! If you are on Rav..send me a line so I can check out your site. I am Lisarn9 on rav!

Euphoria said...

Happy Cinco D Mayo!! Some guacamole and chips with a Corona!?! Sounds good huh? LOL!

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

My MIL used to make playdough for my kids all the time. Thanks for the smile. :)

Veronica Lee said...

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Today happens to be my birthday too!

onna@toddlercraft.net said...

I love your gooyey gak recipe!! I will definitely check out their recipe-I have a kit that we have made something like that from and my kids love it!! You can't beat a playdough recipe!! I love mine and it is hours of entertainment!! we have had the rain here to !! Lot's of painting, crafting, playdough going on here!!

Melissa Goodsell said...

Love the recipe, thanks for sharing.
Melx

twinklescrapbooks said...

Thank you friends!!!
tina