Friday, May 15, 2009

Featured Friday~Jen Lambien from Studio Petite!!!!

Photobucket
This week's Featured Friday artist is Jen Lambien. You can find out more about her and see her wonderful work below! :)
Photobucket
1. Tell us a little about yourself:

My name is Jennifer Lambein. I'm a self taught commercial freelance artist living and working in New York City. I moved from Westlake Ohio to NYC about a month and a half ago. I've downsized from a rather spacious apt. to a small studio. That's what inspired the name "Studio Petite"!


2. What inspires you? What speaks to you?

It can honestly be a person, place, OR thing. I'm an eclectic girl all around, so it really varies. For example, maybe it's something someone is wearing or using in a wonderful old movie such as "
All About Eve". It could simply be a bed of flowers I pass by, a chapter in a Jane Austin or Dickens novel, an awesomely pretty shirt I put on, a conversation that puts me in a whimsical mood, or even a piece by another artist. My guy Ethan inspires me all the time;)!! He's an architect who has a very strong work ethic. That can be very motivating as well as inspiring. Also, having someone who believes in you as he does me can make amazingly magical things take place from with in. Three things that never fail: An amazing cup of coffee, people watching, and being around those I love..

3. What advice would you give to a beginner?

Research, research, research. Patience, patience, patience. Really pay attention to what trends, etc. are hot and selling in your market. Look at other artists work for guidance and inspiration. I'm obviously not telling you to steal their look, but simply learn from what they're doing right. Regardless of what area of art you're pursuing, trends come and go. This is a tough yet rewarding field. Success doesn't happen over night. Cliche? Yes. Yet remember, something is categorized as cliche because rings true. That's where patience is a crucial asset. Remain persistent and prolific. However, produce quality over quantity. Also, I really can't stress this next bit of advice enough. Artists must not only have a creative mind, but should also have a business mind.. The problem is that most of us just simply don't! Don't have the "Field Of Dreams" mentality..."If I create it, they will come". Uh, most likely they won't. First and foremost love what you're doing, but have an idea of how to make money at it in the process. The harsh reality is that if you don't, then you'll most likely never be able to do it full time. So, if you just can't fit business in to that dreamy artsy brain of yours, find a business brainiac who has! Lastly, go to the bookstore and look for the Artist's & Graphic Designer's Market book. They come out with a new one every year.. There are different versions depending on what area of the art world you're involved in. It's a helpful tool, and it's how I found my first agent. Believe in what you're doing. Know it's a subjective field. There will always be lovers AND not so lovers of your work. Stay strong. Stay crafty. Stay you.
Photobucket
4. What is your favorite medium or tool to work with?

Right now I love to work with watercolors, acrylics, markers,
colored pencils, pen and ink, and pretty paper(collage). My favorite watercolor paper is Jack Richeson 140 lb Acid Free Cold Press. I love Holbein Artists' Water Color and Gouache paints. I'm also a fan of Liquitex Acrylics. Penny Lane/My Mind's Eye has some beautifully whimsical scrapbook paper.

5. How do you find time to create?

I'm fortunate enough to be able to pretty much focus in full time on my craft. I'm also a night owl, so I'm very prolific late at night...or maybe it's all the coffee I drink that's keeping me up;)
Photobucket
6. Where do you spend most of your time creating?

I really spend all of my time in my little studio area in my apt. At times I do sketch while on the couch. I try and keep all of my materials confined to my work space. However, that never really lasts lol. I'm hoping with greater success to afford a larger area.

7. What got you started?

My mom and other artists. My mom Deborah Lambein has been a cross-stitch designer for Leisure Arts for years. I was fortunate enough to grow up with someone who not only had supplies and an art room, but was very supportive of the inconsistent life of pursuing an art career. I originally did a couple of cross-stitch leaflets myself. While I enjoyed it, I still wanted to pursue other artistic paths. Artists such as
Mary Engelbreit, Holly Hobbie, Deb Hron, Sue Dreamer, and Eric Disney(Hallmark designer) all began to inspire me. I loved the whimsical aspect of their designs. I guess I've never really lost the child with in. I also loved that they had the opportunity to place their work on products, greeting cards, calendars, and in books for the world to enjoy! Such a universe of open ended inspirational opportunities!

8. How would you describe your style?

As I said earlier...eclectic. I always tell people it's difficult to explain what my work looks like. They simply need to see it. It mixes freshly modern with retro whimsy. I like creating things that bring cheer, warmth, comfort, fun, and the feeling of home. I want to give my customers a reason to smile sweetly, connect deeply, and laugh loudly;)!
Photobucket
9. What do you enjoy most about creating?

I enjoy the ability to express myself. Another fun way of expressing myself? Karaoke...it's so great lol! I also adore the idea that this will hopefully bring joy to another;) I love that when I'm gone, my creations will live on as a part of who I was. Plus, it's just so fun!

10. List your site or sites we can see your gallery on:


Linda McDonald: www.lindamcdonald.com






My personal website www.studiopetite.com is currently under construction, so check back!
Thank you Jen!! Happy Friday everyone! :)

Photobucket

6 comments:

Kari Jenkins said...

I love the title of your blog! I can so relate. Usually it is my child screaming. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment!

Pearl said...

Wow ! lovely art to say the least ! fab feature , Tina !

What else is floating your boat these days ? lol

Marie Reed said...

Her style has such a charming and magical quality to it!

Court said...

Hubby would agree with the coffee one, but my favorite was the tree. That is too cute!

Veronica Lee said...

Love her artwork.Thanks for sharing.

twinklescrapbooks said...

Marie, Court, Veronica~Isn't her stuff the cutest???
Kari~It is always my son screaming LOL--lately he scream sings!
Pearl~I am going to start following sketches for inspiration. I am in love with flickr as of late!!
hugs,
tina :)