Friday, March 27, 2009

Featured Friday!!!!-Sarah!

Photobucket
This week's Featured Friday artist is Sarah!
Photobucket
{Sarah and her daughter Fi}

1. Sarah,tell us a little about yourself.

I was born in the early 70’s in Pennsylvania during a Valentine’s Day snowstorm. When I was still quite young, my mom transplanted us to Savannah, GA where the marsh and the shrimp boats, the ancient live oaks trailing scarves of Spanish moss replaced the earlier emblems of my childhood. Growing up, I was pulled toward creative expression, writing, music, theatre. I met my husband in college in Atlanta, and nearly 10 years and two beautiful, silly baby girls later, it is still happily ever after for the science geek and drama nerd. In terms of favorites, who can choose just one of anything? I love movies but admit to being a bit of a movie snob. The last one I really liked was “Things We Lost in the Fire.” Wally Lamb’s The Hour I First Believed is on my bedside table but so is Maria V. Snyder’s Poison Study. The CDs in my car right now include James Blunt, “The Wonder Boys” soundtrack, and Diana Krall.
Photobucket
{Daylily Earrings}

2. What inspires you?

In life, nothing inspires me more than my girls and their influence creeps into my work sometimes too (see my cupcake jewelry and fairy baubles). I love nature and flowers (especially if I made them grow). I rarely look at magazines but somehow manage to find out what is trendy, and then I may or may not incorporate trends into my work. Art and story are both big influences. I can browse Etsy for hours! I love jewelry that conjures a time, a place, perhaps a character from a book. The title of my Etsy shop, A Fine Distraction, is a stolen phrase from a favorite romantic, somewhat naughty poem by Robert Herrick, Delight in Disorder.
Photobucket
{Blooming Earrings}

3.What advice do you have for a beginner?

Do what you love and keep doing it.
Photobucket
{Spring Cascade}

4. What is your favorite medium or tool to work with?

My imagination. A nice set of German-made jewelry pliers is good too. Oh, and sparkly things.
Photobucket
{Dewdrops}

5. What is a favorite photo you have taken?
Photobucket
{Adorable!}
There are so many, but this one of my daughter, Lily, is certainly in the running…
Photobucket
{Cupcakes}

6. Do you have goals?

I’m getting better at this. Somewhere deep inside is a savvy businesswoman dying to get out. She knows all about business plans, marketing and spreadsheets. We are getting to know each other but BFFs we are not.

7. When you start a piece, what is your process like?

I always dive in but sometimes my light comes on at 3 in the morning so I can jot down an idea.
Photobucket
{Fairy Baubles}

8. How would you describe your style?

Romantic, often girly and nostalgic.

9. What do you enjoy most about creating? What got you started?

I enjoy working with my hands. I love finding the right combinations of elements. I love to see others wearing my designs and the feeling of making something that someone can look at and see something beautiful. I became a bead addict about 7 years ago when I made a set of wine stem charms for my mom for Christmas.

10. Sarah, where can we see more of your work?

My shop is www.afinedistraction.etsy.com

Photobucket
Yay! Let's clap for Sarah! Sarah, thank you so much for the interview. :)
Before I end this post I wanted to share some weekend inspiration with you:


Photobucket
This photographer inspires me!

Photobucket
Love everything they do!!!
Photobucket
Awesome book!
Photobucket
Vintage embroidery patterns!
Photobucket
Google images
Photobucket
Cute barrettes on Etsy
Photobucket

9 comments:

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Wow, what a great interview! Nice to get to know this talented artist. Every picture you posted in this thread is an inspiration. Thank YOU.
always blessed,
Blondie

AFineDistraction said...

Tina, this looks wonderful!! I can't thank you enough. I am so honored to be a part of your fabulous blog!!

Sarah

ginny said...

An absolutely delightful interview with one of my very favorite Etsy pals! Sarah is as nice as she is talented and I'm so pleased to know her :D

Ellen said...

Love Sarah's interview! And the photo of Lily is priceless! It makes me smile every time I see it!

Terrie B x said...

Fab Post!!!Those earings are gorgeous..
Have a lovely Weekend:)♥

Kara said...

Great interview, and Lily's hair is fabulous!

jessNsam98 said...

Well done! It's nice to know a bit more about an artist and what trips their light-imaginative (related to light-fantastic). Sarah is an amazing artist and I love seeing her creations. Jess

MoMo sprnany said...

What a wonderful interview! Sarah's jewlery is delish!!

Marie Reed said...

I really like your featured artists! Tat necklace is right up my alley too! Hmmm...