Friday, February 13, 2009

Featured Friday-Ula!!!!

Photobucket
Every Friday the blog will feature someone inspirational!!!
Today we are so fortunate to share an interview with Ula! I love her art work. I love her style, and you will,too!!!!
Photobucket
  1. Tell us a little about yourself (short bio, favourite colour, song, movie, etc.)

    Hi everyone, I am 30 years old Polish girl living in France for 7 years now because of love (of course!). I met my hubby Gwen in Poland (my country) and we felt in love each other immediately. My lovely daughter Maïa was born 2 1/2 years ago and she’s always been my biggest source of inspiration.

    I have a “normal” desk job at a university here in France and in the evenings I work on my Etsy shop (paintings, drawings, prints, felt brooches, linen things), I update my blog or I make some scrapbook pages which helps me to relax. Maïa often helps me and we have a lot of fun together.

    • My favourite colour: all of them! But I love especially bloody red and natural linen colours.
    • My favourite song: for creating, for dancing or for dreaming? Because I’ve got one for every moment of my day, hahaha. Last times I listen Norah Jones first album and an old Pearl Jam album “Ten” (I was listening it when I was in high-school and I still love it!).
    • My favourite movie: ohh, there are so many movies I may watch all the time like: Amelie, Gangs of New York, all the great films of Tim Burton and many others.
Photobucket
2. What inspires you?
  • I think what most inspires me is the Internet and all my favourite blogs and web sites, like: Flickr, Etsy, Made by Eight blog (http://made-by-eight.blogspot.com/), Decor8, etc.
  • Elsie Flannigan inspires me a lot (not only her work but also her way of life and positive thinking!)
  • And of course my daughter Maïa!
3. What advice would you give to a beginner?
  • Do what you love to do and not what is “in” at the moment.
  • Don’t worry if there are some people who don’t like your work – it’s normal, not everyone will like your art.
  • Be curious and open on everything around you.
  • Be patient and you’ll find your own style.

  1. What is your favorite medium or tool to work with?

    Of course paper and acrylic paints!

    I love also working with linen and felt.

5. Do you have goals?

    To have goals is wonderful and I think important for everyone. Without them our life is a little empty. So my future and near goals are:

      • Be happy and positive everyday
      • Find better way to have more time than 24 hours per day
      • Have a real home
      • Make an art journal
      • More scrapbooking
      • Have a baby
      • Spend more time with Maïa
      • Make things happen!

Photobucket
(from Ula's blog)

6. What is your process like? (Do you start with sketches or just dive in?)

    I don’t use sketches in my scrapbooking pages. I prefer looking at the picture and imagine what I may put around it as colours and papers.

    When I draw or paint I look for the inspiration on the Web. I surf on my favourite blogs and sites and look for some nice forms, patterns and colours. When I found something interesting I build the rest around it.


    7. How would you describe your style?


    Positive, naïve, funny, light, colourful?


    8. What do you enjoy most about creating? What got you started?


    I started creating when I was a child. Then, in high school, and especially at the university (where I studied law) I stopped painting. After 15 years, when I was pregnant with Maïa, I discovered scrapbooking and I felt in love with it! Drawing and painting came later. I also sew accessories like felt or linen brooches, home decors and sometimes I play with polymer clay.

    When I create I forget all my problems, I feel happy and light. I open my heart and soul through my art and when I receive some nice critiques from people who love what I do, that’s the best reward for me.

Photobucket

Thank you Ula!
Photobucket

5 comments:

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I love your idea of featured fridays! I think it's inspiring to hear about other people's creativity. Good to get insights into the who, where, and how of beautiful things! Ula sounds like someone who would be fun to be friends with!

Mandee said...

I think that this is a great idea to highlight someone every friday. Awesome. I love to learn about other talented people out there. So fun to see their creative outlet along with where they are from and who they are. Sweet Moves! SOunds like Ula is a sweet, very talented woman.:)

Pearl said...

What a great spotlight here on Ula , Tina ! very inspiring indeed to discover other artistes whom we might not encounter otherwise !

de said...

She does amazing work. Go Ula!

twinklescrapbooks said...

I love Ula's stuff and her positive personality! :) tina