Monday, August 4, 2008

Make Your Own Artsy Coasters!

Photobucket
Want to learn how to make some fun altered coasters?? Let’s do it to it!

Supplies~
Coasters
Paint
Gesso (optional)
Adhesive
Photos, Stamps, Lace and/or Ephemera (your choices)

Photobucket
You can find chipboard coasters very inexpensively at various dollar or discount stores. It doesn’t matter if they have a design because we are going to cover that!
Photobucket
Photobucket
I took my chipboard and covered it with gesso. This is optional but I liked how it adds texture. I always have to remind myself not to make it too smooth but to leave various amounts of it all over. Trust me, it looks better that way!
If you have a heat gun you can use it to dry your gesso faster. My heat gun broke a few years back L so I had to make do with waiting. LOL
Photobucket
So after it dries, pick out your acrylic paint color(s) you want to use. I like any kind of acrylic paint—not a brand specific type person.
Photobucket
So lightly cover your coaster with acrylic paint. Let dry.
Then I picked a photo I wanted to use and I used my gesso on the back of it to glue it down. I also put a tiny amount on the front of the pic. Then after that dried I put some paint lightly over some areas of the pic to give it that distressed look.
Photobucket
You can just use adhesive if you want, you don’t have to use gesso as your adhesive.
Photobucket
So next I decided I needed a touch of lace. I gessoed that down, too. I think it would be fun to paint over the lace also but this time I did not.
Photobucket
Then I grabbed two different stamps I liked, and staped.
Photobucket
I added sticker letters. On my other coasters, I used rhinestones, old comic books, masking tape, mesh, fabric, and rub-ons. The sky’s the limit!
Photobucket
You can protect your coasters several ways~
* use clear contact paper
* use sealer
* multiple layers of Mod Podge
* I like using a resin like casting epoxy because it is thick!

Have fun!!!

No comments: