Friday, August 29, 2008

Fun with Stamps Tutorial

Photobucket
Looking for something to do over the three-day weekend?? Let’s stamp it out!!!
Today I am going to show you three techniques: 1. using Crayola on stamps, 2. making your own foam stamps, and 3. using cleaner on stamps to stamp with.
Let’s get started!

Stamping with Crayola Markers

You need a stamp (rubber or acrylic work best), some Crayola markers borrowed from your children’s stash, and paper.
Photobucket
Pick out the stamp you want. I found this rockin’ baby at Dollar Tree!
Photobucket
I love, love the Crayola Pip-Squeaks for several reasons. Like all Crayola markers they are washable so they will easily wash off my stamps. They blend well. And I love the colors they come in. Talk about choices! And you know what??? You can use them in your Cricut instead of those expensive Cricut markers. I found my set at Walgreens.
So I just colored in the image on my stamp, and stamped…
Photobucket
Va-va-voom! Talk about a fun technique. Now instead of spending my money on ink pads in all colors I can use markers and spend the $ on shoes!!!

Making Your Own Foam Stamps

Photobucket
Very easy! Get some regular craft foam. You can buy this at WalMart in the craft section for 10-20 cents a sheet.
Photobucket
Find a pattern you like online or draw your own.
Photobucket
Break out the scissors and cut away, baby!
Photobucket
‘Scuse the blurry pic. This is gonna be your stamp.
Photobucket
Cover with acrylic paint of choice. If you use mail as your splat mat and post it online be sure to block out addresses. ;)
Photobucket
You may want a heavy book for this part. Flip your stamp over carefully onto your paper. You may want to use the heavy book to put weight on top of it. Be careful not to smear it around.
Photobucket
Photobucket
That is your print! Wouldn’t it be fun to make swirl ones?? Note to self: Try that someday!

Stamping with Cleaner, Yes, Cleaner

This technique works best with the foam stamps. Have you ever heard of stamping with bleach?? Try it sometime. It looks cool. It makes a white imprint on your paper. I wanted a similar look but I didn’t want it to look white, I wanted it to look embossed. So my crazy brain got to spinning and I saw the generic Cleaner with Bleach.
I thought, “Why not?” And I ended up loving the results!!!
First, if you are messy like me, put on one of your messy, already bleach spotted shirts. All women have them from doing laundry. I have a large collection!
Photobucket
Pick your paper and stamp out.
Photobucket
Fold up some paper towel to make an impromptu ink pad.
Wet it down with your cleaner.
Dip your stamp in it just like an ink pad.
Photobucket
Helloooo,honey! It looks embossed!
Photobucket
It is just slightly lighter than the paper because the cleaner only has minute amounts of bleach.
Photobucket
Here is a scan of it. It came out lighter than the pic but oh well, you can see the embossed look better.

The End?

Let’s put some of the components together to make something…
I made a Labor Day card for fun. :)
Photobucket
P.S. I used my Crayola markers to “ink” the edges of all the items on my card!!!
I hope you have fun with these techniques!!!!

No comments: