Friday, March 7, 2008

A REALLY desperate housewife and why I matter...

Zzzzz...I have to pack for a scrapbook crop I am going to Saturday. I can't wait to go but the packing part is the hardest thing to do!
Harrison and I totally had the humdrums today. Sometimes being a stay at home mom is not so glamorous ;). The final sign of boredom was when my son called someone and came running to me, phone in hand, saying, "it's grandma!" (it wasn't).
So I reached into my clever bag of mommy tricks and decided we would make homemade playdough. It really was fun.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
(this is before it is cooked...)

Photobucket
get your helper to clean up
Here is our recipe:
Photobucket
Reflecting on my day, a day in which I was sure nothing "big" or "exciting" happened, I realized a few things:
1. H made a prank? phone call.
2. The house was actually clean today.
3. H learned how to pluck grapes today. That is something so simple but I usually give him grapes already plucked. Today I taught him how to do his own.
4. We sang a lot.
5. We practiced counting and measuring while we made our dough.
6. We drew on the glass door with markers (window washable ones by Crayola).
7. The best part was when he said, "Mommy, I love you! You are my best friend!"
8. The second best part was when my husband hurried home to be with us.
So yep, nothing big happened today but sometimes its the little things that really do matter in the end. While watching my son squish the oozing dough mix with his tiny toddler hands I wondered if he would remember doing this ten years from now. It would be cool if he said, "Hey, mom, remember when we used to make playdough?"
My heart also breaks a little to know I am only his best friend for now...soon I will be replaced by school mates and soccer team mates. :( So I should enjoy these little moments--these tiny captured memories--for now.