Monday, December 17, 2007

I wrote a letter to daddy...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(^to quote my mom's favorite Bette Davis movie!)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My dad's 57th birthday was Wednesday, Dec.12. We celebrated Friday. He is really hard to buy for because he is a simple man--all his possessions fit into a drawer. He does not collect anything, and does not really believe in material items. I don't know if it is because he was born in a desolate little Mexican village and never really had anything to call his own or what. My mom and brothers got him new slippers, his "chopos" (that is his nickname for them). So I thought and thought and was not sure what to buy at all. If I handed him cash or a gift card, I knew he would hand them back and tell me to buy something for myself. He is always a giver. So finally it hit me that he might miss some food from back home. Nope, I don't cook, that is what I married Ben for! (teehee). So we went to a local market called La Feria Latina. I love going there! I don't go there enough. We picked up pan dulces (sweet bread, churros), tacos carne asada, chicharrones (pork rinds), Abuelita (grandma's) hot chocolate, and various Mexican sodas (only 69 cents each!). I love that you can get soda in hard-to-find flavors like Sangria, Pineapple, Peach and Guayaba (my dad's family has guayaba and lime orchards). I bought myself some ice cream and some platain (an exotic banana) chips, and some sweet bread. Oh, and my favoritest thing in the world: Limon Candy. It is salt. Lime flavored salt. And yes, it is considered a candy. I put it on limes and then pass out from the high salt content (only joking!!) The wrapper cracks me up because the company that makes it is called:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
El Gordo (or fat...why would you put the word FAT on a candy wrapper??LOL). My dad thoroughly enjoyed his gift. I was so happy. :)