Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Two day vacay

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Ben goes back to work (teaching) Thursday so these next two days I am trying to squeeze in optimal family time so today and tomorrow I will just be posting some of the classes I taught for CropALatte. Enjoy!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Altered Letters (any size, any kind)
Get your ABCs on! I love altered letters! You can get any kind in any size. You can hang them on your wall, door, place them on your desk, or put them in your scrapbook. Class Supply List: Letter(s) that can be altered A paint brush Glue/mod podge/adhesive (acid-free if you are scrapbooking this) Stuff to alter with, such as: acrylic paint, stamps, rub-ons, stickers, paper, fabric, ribbon. It is up to you what you want to use--that is what makes them so easy and fun!
-----------------------------------------
Where do I find letters to alter? You can make your own out of chipboard. I have used my Cricut and Sizzix before to cut my chipboard. If you do not own a die-cutting machine, go into MS Word and choose a large, bold font. Type your letters. Print it really large (well, the size you want) on regular copy/printer paper. Cut the letters out. Use removable adhesive (I used my Hermafix) and glue your cut out letter to a piece of chipboard (found in the back of notebooks/paper packs) or an empty cereal box. Now you have a pattern to follow.Take an Xacto craft-type blade and cut following your pattern. When done, tear the printer paper letter off and VOILA! You have a chipboard letter. You can purchase Provocraft wood ones in the unfinished wood section at Michael's Craft Stores for .99 cents each. You can purchase them in various sizes and fonts in the craft section at Dollar Tree for $1. You can always buy them at your LSS or big box stores. For this project, I used paper mache letters I purchased at Hobby Lobby for under $2. You can make your own paper mache letters using cardboard and paper mache if you like.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
So let's get started!!!
1. I painted my letters using acrylic paint. I chose not to make it heavy so I took my foam painter's brush and put paint on one side and then flipped the brush and used the other side to drag the paint (dry brushing). I like turquoise so that is what I used.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
2. The paper mache letters dried in about 5 minutes! Once your paint is dry, start stamping. I used Heidi Swapp and Michael's word stamps first and then I used my Autumn Leaves swirl stamps.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
3. I used two different brands of rub-ons (K and Co and Basic Grey). Apply rub-ons with rub-on tool (aka a popsicle stick).
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
4. I inked the edges because I liked the look of distressing. I used Color Box ink.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
5. After my ink dried, I tied black and blue ribbon on the letter L.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
6. There you go! Altered letters . Just hot glue a picture hanger and it is ready to be displayed on your wall!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
~LIFE~
Here's another one I did on a scrapbook LO.
I found an article in Scrapbooks,etc (Jan. 07 issue) about altered letters:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Their ideas: ~adhere distressed patterned paper ~add fabric ~adorn with ribbon ~use rub-ons ~cover in glitter ~outline in buttons ~decorate with photos ~stamp all over ~embellish with flowers ~apply stickers I cannot wait to see your letters! Email me at harrisonsmommy1@yahoo.com with your creations if you would like and I can post them on here.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I know some of the pics are a little big--thanks for putting up with it. Since I am on "vacay" re-sizing is not going to happen today LOL. :)